Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Just Write.

For months, I've been wrestling with myself - with my muse, I guess - sometimes trying to write, sometimes trying not to write. In any case, the blank page is indeed like a bull, just like Papa Hemingway said.

Ideas are there. Ideas are always there. It's getting them out the way that I want them that's the hard part.

It's also hard recognizing when something is just a small something, or when it's a larger something, needing time and fleshing out.

Add in the pressure I put on myself to write and it starts to feel like a duty more than a gift.

When I was a kid, I just wrote. That's what I did. I had a Trapper Keeper full of stuff - things I never wanted anyone to see. Sometimes people saw them anyway. But I never had this sort of verbal bottleneck that I have now. If it was there to be written, I wrote it.

It's harder now. I'm sure that part of it is a fear of rejection - part of it's an idea that I know what's "marketable" and what isn't. As if marketability has ever been my reason to write. Writing, for me, has just been what I do. I wrote my first poem at the age of five, and I've never stopped writing since.

Is it crap? Yeah. A lot of it's crap. Some of it is even award-winning crap. One piece is award-winning, published crap. But I wrote it.

I'm trying to remember that writing is what I do. And I'm trying to straighten out the bottleneck.

It's not as easy as it used to be.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I think that your verbal bottleneck is caused by this little thing called LIFE (aka- motherhood, marriage, eating, etc...). Remember when you were 5 the only thing that really mattered was NOT eating vegggies and writing... No bottleneck there!

Christy said...

I agree. This is such a hectic time of life. It's easy for the big things to get lost amid the shopping lists and menus.

Laura said...

When do you suppose this bottleneck widens? Does it ever? I hope so...

Chris Wasielewski said...

Oh Heather..... I hear ya. Dang, becoming an adult REALLY screws things up sometimes, doesn't it! LOL I hope you find the freedom within you to just let it flow again.

Chris