Tuesday, April 3, 2007

I'm aging.

In less than a week, I'll be celebrating my last twenty-something birthday. Monday is my 29th.

My twenties were not the same as most people's twenties. I got married at the age of 20 (but would have done it at 19 if I could have), bought my first house at 22, had my first baby at 23, had my second (and last) baby at 25. I've had a bunch of different jobs at a bunch of different companies (but I appear to have settled down now). I've taken college classes but not graduated. I've learned countless things and gone countless places, including Canada later this year.

What new stuff can possibly await me in my thirties?

I'm finished having children, so now it's just a matter of watching them grow. I've got more places to go (Scotland is on the table for the summer after my 30th birthday), and, presumably, more things to learn. I've got a few goals for my thirties as well: 1) lose 140 pounds. Hopefully, I'll have the Lap-Band to help me out with that. 2) Run a marathon. 3) Get a business plan (and capital!) together for the bookstore I want to own one day and 4) Get out of debt. Pay off the house, everything. Get the money together for my kids' college.


On the morning of my 25th birthday, my brother (who is five years younger) called me. He said: "Happy birthday! Did you hold your hands up over your head when you woke up this morning and yell 'WHEEEEEE!!'??"

Confused, I said "What?!"

"This morning, you started the downward slope of your twenties. It's alllll downhill from here."

Next year, I'll be 30 - he'll be 25. You can bet I'm going to call him first thing that morning and ask him that same exact question. For me, I will have just changed rollercoasters.

8 comments:

Christy said...

Oh, I'll tell you what you have to look forward to in your 30s! Better sex. No kidding.

Bethany said...

True dat, Christy. :)
You have an awesome outlook Heather. Your 30's are going to be awesome.

Ariel05 said...

When I met my husband he told me that 34 was a woman's sexual peak.

I'm looking foward to 10 years from now, reading your what I did in my 30's list and saying I remember that. :)

Ariel05 said...

Just for the record though, we won't be talking about what birthday I will celebrate then. ha, ha

Heather said...

30's the ride... Keep your hands up!

Chris Wasielewski said...

Ya old fart! LOL

Seriously, I know you, and I know the 30's......... you are gonna love them girl. Seriously. It's a whole new world into YOU!

Chris

cheribear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cheribear said...

Its Monday here right now!!! HAPPY 29th!!!

Have a drink, on me. Well, its likely to be on you, if you're wearing a white shirt - but you know what I mean!