Thursday, March 8, 2007

I've Read Some Things: Part 2 of 3

So, next I read All He Ever Wanted by Anita Shreve.

While I think I liked the book (I'm strangely undecided about most of what I've read of Shreve's work), I struggled with the male voice of the protagonist because it's stereotypical. Then I start thinking about it and, for the time in which the book was set (1900s), it's understandable that the male voice would be stereotypical, and an effort to break free from that stereotype could be seen as not genuine to the time period. So it's a struggle for me, and I think I may be looking at it very narrowly.

The other problem I had was that it wrapped up SO quickly! All of these tangled webs, and the resolution was happened so fast! And while I sort of understood the impetus for the big throwdown at the end, it seems sort of a weak reason for all of the waves it caused, if that makes sense.

All in all, I think it was a solid book. Maybe I should read it again.

No comments: