Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Nick Saban is a Racist.

Who knew? He's a lot of things, but I never knew racist was one of them.

For those of you who may not know, Nick Saban used to be head football coach at Louisiana State University. He left LSU to be the head coach of the Miami Dolphins (in the NFL) and at the end of the regular season left Miami to be the head coach at the University of Alabama. This in spite of several denials - even up to the morning he accepted the Alabama job - and lots and lots of declarations that "he wasn't going anywhere."

So, integrity? None found. But this??

According to ProFootballTalk.com, Saban was talking to reporters in a supposed "off the record" discussion on January 4th, after his introduction as Alabama's head coach - but, a tape recorder was indeed rolling. And on it, he said:

[quote]My friends are okay with it. The rest of those guys? One of my, one of my guy on the board -- you guys won't be able to put this on the thing -- was walking down the street, one of the Board of Trustees guys like these people around here and sitting up on the stage today at LSU, is walking down the street yesterday before the Sugar Bowl. He calls me. There's a guy working in a ditch. One of those coon-ass guys that talk funny. I can't talk like him but he can. Most people in Louisiana can. And he says, 'Hey, you see where Coach Saban signed up with Alabama?' You know however they talk. And the Board of Trustees guy says, 'Yeah, I saw that.' And he says, 'That son of a bitch. I feel like he's f--king my wife.[/quote]

Audio can be found here: http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm You've got to scroll down a bit.

Possibly just as puzzling to me is the fact that several readers of ProFootballTalk.com have written in to say that "coon-ass" is not a racial slur in the South. I'm sorry - I live in Texas and if you ain't talkin' about the rodent or the hound, it's a damn slur. I have never heard it used otherwise.

I'm betting, though, that Alabama won't even reprimand him. It is the University of Alabama, after all. Roll tide.

I should probably also mention that National Signing Day is coming up here, in an immediate fashion. Saban has been recruiting heavily in Louisiana, and even if Alabama doesn't reprimand him, this will bite him in his racist ass. Why on earth would a black recruit go play for a guy like this? Or, for that matter, if he was really just referencing Cajuns, like so many have said, why would a Cajun?

9 comments:

Heather said...

HEATHER! What a SHOCKER! I was just thinking about you this weekend while house hunting... a boy's room had MAJOR plastered all over it as if his name were MAJOR!! HOW ARE YOU AND THE KIDDOS???!?!?!

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Truly, in Louisiana, "coon-ass" is not an insult. I can't explain why, but it's not.

Laura said...

I don't know who this guy is at all, but I was just reading an article this morning about parties at universities that are causing some conflict too. http://www.whns.com/global/story.asp?s=6006362

Christy said...

Well, racist or no, he obviously thinks it ok to mock people based on their culture and accent. And well, that's just not cool. Call me overly pc, but I think it's important to be nice. And that? NOT NICE.

Sarah said...

Uncool. I know no other way to use the word except as a slur. He totally should not be allowed in your punk band.. but uh, I should. Seriously, Paranoid Sarah! I could look all bug eyed all of the time. It could be my thing:

There's Paranoid Sarah with CRAZY eyes again.

Squishypig said...

I grew up in Louisiana (like Lisa!) and I never thought that coon-ass was a racial slur. A lot of my friends who had Cajun relatives used the term to describe themselves. I even had a babysitter who had an airbrushed "coon-ass and proud of it!" license plate.

Heather New said...

I stand corrected! Twice! :-)

But the fact remains that he was disparaging these folks for being Cajun, and it's still a rat-bastard thing to do. So, I stand by my story. ;)

Squishypig said...

Tru dat, Heather! :lol:

Unknown said...

It's an ethnic slur. Not a racial slur. And it has nothing to do with black people. It's for cajun people.